Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Leprechauns, Law, Layoffs, and Long Hours

As we enter the Summer months, I will not be able to blog as often due to long hours on the job...but, every once in a while, I will Leprechaun post. Yes, I said Leprechaun post.

Defined:

Leprechaun (or any other mythical creature ; I chose Leprechauns because the YouTube videos 1 and 2; but, I probably should have gone with Vampires as they are sure to be the new airbrushed poster subjects replacing the famed unicorn) Post - (n) a blog post that contains elements of wonder and magic; also a blog post that is rarely seen - one might have to squint or look up in a tree to catch a glimpse of said post; a special rarity worthy of airbrushing or a pot of gold.

O'blog continued: In continuing with the graduation theme from my last post, this past weekend was Baylor's graduation. The local news in Waco reported on how this year is a very tough time to be graduating - according to 1 study, only 10% of graduates have been able to secure a job. This number is pretty staggering, but this morning while I was surfing the WSJ. com website, I found another disturbing article discussing the grim prospects for graduating law students. In an interview with legal consultant Peter Zeughauser, the reporter asks:

"Not a good time to be coming out of law school, is it?

It’s not. But it’s really not a good time to be a 2L. They’re going to get hit the worst, I think. "

The article also discusses the possibility of seeing "dramatically reduced offers to summer associates at the end of this summer, and dramatically reduced offers for people to come in as summers in 2010. These cuts could be very dramatic, as much as slashed by 90 percent."

Dum dum duuuuuuuum.